Friday, July 23, 2010

Wooden Artillery


These practice rounds are huge (30" tall) and weigh as much as a planet. To save metal they were made from oak, then capped with steel and brass. This weekend I'll start building tabletops to transform these into super-industrial cocktail tables.




The rounds were stored in their original boxes for almost 70 years, which naturally darkened the wood to a perfect honey-brown. I wanted to save the boxes, which were covered in interesting logos and military requisition info. Unfortunately, the cardboard was brittle with dry-rot, to which I am extremely allergic. I tried keeping them anyway, but my legs broke out in hives and I had to drop them at the curb. It's a shame, but I've got even more pieces on the way and some great new projects on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment